National & International Pool Lifeguard Course – January 2023 – Longford
This is a full Pool Lifeguard course for anyone who wishes to gain a qualification as a fully qualified Pool Lifeguard. This qualification is recognised nationally and internationally by the International Life Saving (ILS) Federation.
– Saturday 7th January 2023: Longford Sports & Leisure: 11am – 6pm
– Sunday 8th January 2023: Longford Sports & Leisure: 11am – 6pm
– Saturday 14th January 2023: Longford Sports & Leisure: 11am – 6pm (Final Assessment)
– Self-Guided Online Modules (These can be started as soon as you receive your login details for our Online Learning Platform and can be done in your own time but must be completed by Saturday 14th January 2023 as part of the final assessment)
– Pool Practice (This can be done in your own time in a pool of your choice before the final assessment on Saturday 14th January 2023)
No previous water safety experience is required to take part in this pool lifeguard course, but applicants must be strong swimmers, especially in deep water, and be able to swim at least 100m prone and 100m supine, head-up front crawl, sidestroke and inverted breaststroke and surface dive (head-first) to the deepest part of the pool. Applicants must also be 16 or older on the first day of the pool lifeguard course.
The Pool Lifeguard course consists of three sections:
Theory – A series of online modules with follow-up assessments cover the theory behind everything from rescues to pool water testing and observation techniques. There is a strong emphasis here on the practical knowledge that a Pool Lifeguard will need to perform their duties.
BLS – Basic Life Support is taught as a key skill for Pool Lifeguards in dealing with major emergencies. Training manikins and bag valve masks (BVMs) are used to allow candidates to get practical experience of giving chest compressions and ventilations as well as the use of trainer AEDs and oxygen administration.
Water Work – Pool and classroom time are dedicated to working on a set of core rescue techniques, key to any pool lifeguard’s skills. Among the techniques practised are land-based rescues, swimming rescues, escapes from drowning grips, in-water resuscitation and spinal injury management.